5 Ways to Avoid Getting Scammed on Craigslist
1. Check the URL to be sure you’re not on a bogus look-alike site. The Craigslist URL is http://www.craigslist.org.
2. Deal locally so you can finalize a sale in person. There’s also less of a chance of there being a language barrier that blurs the details of a deal.
3. Examine the product in person before finalizing a sale. Never rely solely on pictures when buying something on Craigslist or a similar site.
4. Don’t send a money order or wire transfer as payment for an item. The same goes for prepaid cards. If you do, you’ll have no way of recouping your loss if the sale goes south.
5. Don’t share your personal information. If a contact is asking too many questions, back out of the deal.
Your Turn: Have you ever been targeted by a Craigslist scam? Share your experience with us in the comments.