8 Things To Do If Your Identity Is Stolen
- Lock the compromised account. Dispute any fraudulent charges on your compromised accounts and ask to have them locked, or even shut down.
- Place a fraud alert on your credit reports. This helps alert creditors that someone may be trying to open accounts in your name.
- Consider a credit freeze. This will make it impossible for the scammer to open a credit line or loan in your name.
- Alert the FTC. Visit identitytheft.gov and follow the site’s instructions.
- Strengthen your passwords. In addition to changing them, use strong and different passwords for all your online accounts.
- Check your account statements. It’s best to do so frequently to look for suspicious activity.
- Open new credit cards and accounts. Replace compromised accounts that you’ve shut down so you can be inconvenienced as little as possible.
- Repair your credit. Be extra careful about paying your bills on time and keeping your credit utilization low.